Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Survival Tips

A week and a half into this and I think it is safe to say I have gotten use to being a gimp. I have worked out the tricks to make life a bit easier. So I'm going to state this post as my "Survival guide for those whose walking abilities are altered". Yeah, it's a long name, but I figure you all appreciate my descriptions. So here it goes.

1. Obtain crutches. This is for the obvious reasons that your leg is not to be walked on.
2. Make your crutches more comfortable. I did this by using a small piece of foam, some prewrap and a small piece or fabric adjusted to cover the top of the crutches. I'm working on more decorations to come (maybe some zebra print duct tape??)
3. Have a refillable water bottle. Those aim meds do not suit digestive systems well so you gotta stay hydrated.
4. Use a backpack. Well for the implications of #1 you have no hands so this will be your new savior.
5. Fuzzy socks. Since shoes are questionable on fitting (I'm also not walking on that leg so there is not much need for the shoe), fuzzy socks will be your best friend. Not only do they keep you toes nice and cozy, they're also fun (I was going to say stylish too, but that's questionable).
6. Get a Spinny Chair. Spinny chairs are magic. Most know for its cameos in office buildings or "The Office", the Spinny chair is a fantastic method to get around. Just use your good foot and crutches to push off, kinda like a row boat and viola, instant gratification.. And don't tell me you did not use the Spinny chair as a pirate ship when you were a child. They're pretty much the greatest things ever invented. Period.
7. Use a watch. This is so much easier than having to pull our your cell phone to check the time.
8. Set an alarm to take your meds. I absolutely hate taking medicine, and I forget to take it at the right time, an alarm is key. Also you can set the alarm to your favorite song, what's better than that?
And those are my 8 tips of survival. There may be more to come later, we'll see how it pans out, and hopefully I can get on decorating those crutches some more.
For now I am sitting outside listening to some good music with my awesome sister, it is such a beautiful day here on the central coast. It's like summer in January! Today I was also able to wear jeans for the first time now that the swelling has gone down so much, yayy!! Wishing you all a happy Wednesday, half way through the week!
Much Love.
Xxx Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment